Monday, August 25, 2014

Utah Book Month- Author Natalie Whipple


Hello all!  Hope you are having fun checking out the Utah Book Month!  If you are wondering what it's all about you can read about it at the Utah Book Month website where you can see all the posts and the scheduled.  Today I am doing an author spotlight on a Utah author, Natalie Whipple.  She can be found on Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr, and Facebook.


 Many of you probably know her books.. I have seen a lot of you reviewing them on your blog.




I sent her a few questions... of course some of them mentioning Utah since of course this is Utah Book Month!


ME: I see that you are a lover of young adult books.  Have you read any that are so amazing that you can recommend them to us?
NATALIE:  The upcoming ILLUSIONS OF FATE by Kiersten White is probably my most favorite book by her, and of course the much-anticipated ISLA AND THE HAPPILY EVER AFTER by Stephanie Perkins is amazing. I really loved my friend Sara Raasch's debut SNOW LIKE ASHES, which is out in October.

ME:What do you love about Utah?? Any places there that you have visited that is a must? (Antelope Island, The Salt Flats for example).
NATALIE: I like my mountain view, but I admit I'm still a California girl at heart (though I've been here for 15 years). For me it's all about the food, though, and if you have a chance to hunt down the infamous food truck Waffle Love you will have the best waffle you've ever tasted. And if you like cupcakes, Craving Cupcakes in Pleasant Grove, Utah, is hands down the best in the state (they won Cupcakes Wars and yes I think they're better than the other place here that won).

ME: What’s next for you? Are you currently writing any new books that you could tell us about?
NATALIE: I've got a lot on the horizon, as always, but right now I'm focusing on finishing off the I'm A Ninja series. Just one more book to go! After I do edits on my YA contemporary FISH OUT OF WATER (out in the UK in Feb 2015), I will likely start drafting that final ninja book. I'm really excited to see the project to the end.

ME: I see you are going to be at the Salt Lake Comic Con. Do you like Cons?? If so.. what is your favorite part about them?
NATALIE: I have a love/hate relationship with cons. I really enjoy being on panels and meeting readers and being with my nerd clan, but it does take a big toll on my mental state. I have social anxiety, so being in such a social environment with so many people (especially somewhere crazy crowded like the vendor floor) can really set off my panic attacks if I'm not careful. I usually have to recover in isolation for at least a week after big events like that.

ME: Do you like writing young adult books??
NATALIE: Of course I like writing YA! I wouldn't do it if I didn't love it—heaven knows we get little respect, much like the teens we write for.

ME: I noticed the covers for Transparent and Blindsided are different. Did you make that choice? If so why do series change covers (meaning change artists/style)
NATALIE: As for the covers for TRANSPARENT and BLINDSIDED, the reason they are different has to do with my publishers. TRANSPARENT was bought by both a US imprint (HarperTeen) and a UK publisher (Hot Key Books). BLINDSIDED was sold to my UK publisher, Hot Key Books, only. That means the cover you are seeing for BLINDSIDED is the UK cover, and the UK Cover for TRANSPARENT actually matches it perfectly, but the US cover is very different.

I would like to thank Natalie for taking the time out to answer my questions and giving us a little more insight into her world.  We are lucky to have her as a Utah author! 

19 comments:

  1. Natalie is awesome! I enjoy seeing her at events and things, and I really enjoy her books! I can't wait to read the Ninja one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only heard of House of Ivy and Sorrow, so I'll have to look up Whipple's other titles on GoodReads. Mmm... food trucks! You're making me hungry just reading about 'em. Great Q&A ladies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun insights! I love hearing about book cover matters. And the Utah food recommendations have my mouth watering. Thanks for the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This author is new to me! I just looked up her books on GoodReads and they all sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa @ Captivated ReadingAugust 25, 2014 at 7:05 PM

    Thanks for this post! I've added House of Ivy & Sorrow to my reading wishist after reading your post!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think House of Ivy & Sorrow looks really good! I have seen several bloggers review that one and they really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Ninja one looks soooo good. I mean... who doesn't love a good Ninja?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love food trucks too! Dallas has the most amazing food trucks. I always love to go there and eat from them. The have this whole role of them downtown if you ever visit there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too love to hear about book covers. I always wonder why in the middle of a series a book cover changes. So it's nice to actually hear from the author why this would happen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whew that's some dedication going to cons then! Goodness. I don't think I'd like the huge massive ones but the smaller ones I can handle (like 500ish people). Not quite as overwhelming for me I'd imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Meg-A Bookish AffairAugust 26, 2014 at 7:24 AM

    I actually have not read any of these books! I really love the covers though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am surprised to find out that the author goes to cons because of anxiety. I have anxiety and avoid big crowds when it is at it's worst. I wonder if it is in her contract?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the covers too!!! Blindsided is a cute cover

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's not in my contracts. I choose to go despite it being hard because I see significant bumps in my sales when I attend conferences. Since I'm a midlist author, every little bump is important to me! So I prepare and do my best to attend the ones I'm invited to, and I usually have a good time if I pace myself and take moments to be alone and recuperate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely interview! I think cons would set off my anxiety too, but I've never been to one so I would love to at some point. :)

    -lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been to big events with anxiety and it was a nightmare. The crowds... but I learned a few techniques to help. Like concentrate on what's in my hands rather then looking around. Or look at my feet while walking. San Diego Comic Con is no joke... luckily both times I went my anxiety was doing OK so no problems there. Phew.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Trust me I'm a ninja, such a good title lol ! I hate going to cons because of the crowd, too, so I relate. Thanks for sharing, great interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the title of that book too!! Very clever and funny at the same time.

    ReplyDelete